Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Monster Cookies


About a month ago, we had the honor of being a part of one of the most beautiful weddings I have witnessed. It took place in Archbold, Ohio at Sauder Village. I had some free time before the ceremony and headed over to the Doughbox Bakery located just out in front of the village. The bakery sells everything from dinner rolls and noodles to freshly made doughnuts and pies. My eyes were locked on the cookies. They had chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar, the usual fare...and monster cookies. Regretably, I only purchased one (the size of my face) for Dan and I to share. My favorite cookie will always be chocolate chip, but this monster gave it a run for its money. Oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chip and m&m! Since then, I have been looking for a recipe. I actually found a hand written one that I was given many years ago, but never tried. However, that one made a gigantic batch and included corn syrup, which I did not have, and made me a bit skeptical. I finally decided on this one.


Monster Cookies

3 eggs
1 1/4 c. packed, light brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (I doubled this)
1 1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 c. chocolate candies (I was very generous; used closer to 3/4 or 1 c. ;)
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. rasins, optional (I opted out!!!)
2 tsp. baking soda
4 1/2 c. quick cooking oatmeal,  not instant (the 1 minute kind)

Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray cookie sheets with non-stcik spray, or use parchment paper.
In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the m&ms, chocolate chips, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets.
Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for 3 minutes (or longer) before transferring to cooling racks.


Oh, I decided to use dark chocolate m&ms for these cookies, and I am sure glad that I did. I highly recommend it if you like dark chocolate. Also, make sure that you use a very sturdy spoon or spatula to mix the batter-it gets super thick and tough to stir towards the end. The recipe instructs that you should not overbake. I heeded the warning and was very pleased. I baked the cookies until they were just barely turning brown around the outside. The top of the cookies looked like they were still a bit raw, but don't be afraid, once cooled they were not undercooked, but wonderfully chewy.

So, this recipe is not exactly like the ones that I had at the bakery. It might be better! Either way, I guarantee that they will be a favorite. And, with all of the protein and fiber from the oatmeal and peanut butter, these monster cookies are practically a health food. At least that's what I am telling myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In that case, candy corn and their partners in crime the mallo pumpkins are heath foods as well.

Ps...these cookies are FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!