Monday, September 28, 2009

Soup Success - Smooth Vegetable Soup


My usual excitement and anticipation for weekend cooking was replaced with aprehension when it came to the soup. I have been wanting to make a vegetable soup for some time now, but was a bit nervous since the majority of my last soup adventure was digested by the garbage disposal rather than our stomachs. I followed a recipe, but it was bad. So this time, I decided to wing it. I did my usual research of perusing what seemed like dozens of recipes, and this is what I came up with...a winner!

Smooth Vegetable Soup

2 tbsp. olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium cooking onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 carrots, chopped
1 medium baking potato chopped
1 plum tomato, chopped
1 (15 oz.) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
2-12 oz. packages frozen green peas
4 c. low-sodium vegetable stock
2 c. water
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
salt to taste (forgot to measure; a few turns of the sea salt grinder)

Heat oil, garlic and onion in your favorite stock pot on medium-high heat until onions just start to soften. Add carrots and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Transfer soup in batches to a blender or food processor and puree until almost smooth. (I like a few tiny bits left in the mix) Garnish with fresh grated parmesan and more pepper. Serve with some crusty bread.

Tip: After simmering, I transfered the soup to another stock pot before blending. This way you can pour your pureed soup back into the original cooking pot to mix and to reheat if necessary.



This recipe makes a decent amount. Plenty to eat and enough to freeze for later. Enjoy!

No comments: