Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bean Salsa

Hello. I'm back with a long lost post. from. last. summer. This salsa/side dish is great for a potluck, your lunchbox, or any upcoming Superbowl snacking. I had it for the first time in June at my sister's Mexican-themed graduation party. My aunt made a quadruple batch of this tasty stuff to set out as an appetizer on all of the tables. I was very happy that she did because it ended up being the only real vegetarian option. It was excellent atop my giant plates (plural!) of cheese nachos. I, of course, had to make a couple of changes to the original recipe. The main thing I did was decrease the sugar from 1 c. to 1/2 c., and it's still pretty sweet. The sweetness is what makes this dish, but I'll save the extra carbs and calories where I can. 

Bean Salsa (or Salad)

Salsa:
1 - 14 oz. can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 - 14 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 14 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can shoepeg corn, drained
1 small jar of chopped pimento, drained
1 c. chopped celery
2 jalapenos, finely chopped
1 c. chopped green pepper

Dressing:
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. water
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. chili powder (optional)
a couple healthy pinches cayenne pepper (optional)

1. Layer salsa ingredients in a large bowl or container.
2. Combine dressing ingredients in a saucepan, whisk to incorporate, and bring to a boil.
3. Cool for 1 minute and pour over bean mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain liquid before serving with tortilla chips or on it's own.


Bonus! Save the your little glass pimento jars. They're a great way to pack salad dressing, nuts, granola or anything small in your lunchbox.